Friday, March 11, 2011

How do you respond?

Today we got news of a devastating earthquake in Japan. Literally, the earth has sped up as the plates shifted. Our days literally just got shorter.

And thanks to twitter, youTube and facebook, we've seen devastation of an industrialized nation and it wrenches at our hearts.

How do you respond? What is my attitude the same as Christ Jesus?

First, I felt souls being carried to Christ. And I physically cringed. How many lives were snuffed out without Christ? What of them? Why God? Why?

My second attitude was to pray for a quick end to the trouble. Twelve aftershocks. Each "nothing" compared to the first, but worse than many. Fire and a nuclear meltdown. No water. No electricity. My soul ran to pray for these people. First, for the separated families. Next for the safety.

Last, I have a verse posted in my office from the first few verses of Psalm 46:
God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.

We will not fear. God in you we put our trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment