Friday, March 7, 2014

ACTS III, Thankfulness

Have you ever asked yourself about your decisions in life? Maybe something like "If I didn't have kids, I could have bought a new vehicle every couple years." or "If I wasn't married, I would probably be the smartest guy in the company - maybe even president." or "If I hadn't married Mr. NeedyBoy, I would be a Martha Stewart or Rachel Rae, or I'd be as fit as Jillian Michaels."

I continually am thankful that God would save a sinner like me. I know you may be thinking "How bad of a sinner are you? Seriously, you write about God and Jesus all the time. You seem like a holy roller to me."

And that's just it. I'm a dirty rotten scoundrel. Without God, I would lie, cheat, steal, and be narcisistic (self satisfying) as anyone you could imagine. I would be Mr. Popular, but have no real friends. You know the guys on the romantic comedy shows that look cool and have it all, but everybody that "knows" them hates them? Or how about in the new Disney movie Frozen <spoiler alert> there is the character Hans? I could be him.That God saved me from myself, that's pretty big to me.

There is the Jesus who saved me from being the bad guy in every romantic comedy. This would be a spiritual blessing to me. Why should I come to believe while others continue on rejecting this teaching?

Then there is the Jesus who has sustained this family since it began. Not only did I graduate college married and debt free, but within a year I was able to buy a house and a new car. In all my years of employment I never failed to receive a bonus - even if the company had a losing year. I'm not suggesting that my tithe was in exchange for these material blessings, but that as I was faithful, He proved himself faithful to me.

Then there is the Jesus who puts me in relationships that grow me. This could be small groups, youth groups, a boss or employee. There were years where I met mentors in the workplace and mentors in the church. In addition to the people he brought to me, there are the people that are dearest to me, my wife and kids, my parents and extended family. Perhaps I am lucky to have so many people that genuinely care for me. So I'm thankful for the relationships around me.

Lastly, there is the Jesus that answers prayer. Surely you have prayed for good weather or safe travels. How many people ask for these things and never say thanks?! And what about the healing for sickness, or the restoration of relationships that have gone bad? Again, are thanks in order? Let's not forget the encounter Jesus has with ten leppers in Luke 17:11-19.
Jesus Heals Ten Men With Leprosy

Thinking this all through, there seem to be spiritual, material, relational, and personal blessings. When you get to T in ACTS, think of these four things that you are grateful for.


Luke 17:11-19
Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!”

When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed.

One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16 He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan.

Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment