Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Being Childlike, in a good way :)

I'm struck over and over again by how simple life is supposed to be. If we consider the Garden of Eden as the starting place (a leap of faith I will grant you), then you will see we didn't have to work the land for food, and we were able to interact peacefully with nature and God.

Then the fall. And from that moment on, we see strife.

Fast forward to the new testament when Jesus shows up on the scene. Those closest to him start trying to figure out their standing with Jesus in Matthew 18. Jesus replies in action and word:

He [Jesus] called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

It is supposed to be simple. Just believe, help and serve each other the way that we want to be helped and served. God's economy is upside down compared to how I typically view my situation. But what can I do but continue to work on myself? 

You've probably heard about the last supper Jesus ate before he was betrayed by one of these 12 disciples. Many churches call it communion. But at this supper, Jesus takes the position of a lowly servant and washes the feet of his disciples - even the one that betrayed him. 

He wants us to be humble. James 4;10 reminds us to be humble and He will lift us up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment