Thursday, September 18, 2014

Reasoning with the unborn

I've often been challenged by the idea of being "born again" or whatever the lingo is. In fact, I am challenged by many of the things in the Bible. I have a hard time reconciling all the issues inside and the apparent contradictions.

But then I think about my time as a pre-natal fetus. If someone had the ability to talk to me in the womb, they would tell me about this great love of a mother on the outside. They would tell me about incredible colors, sites, sounds, textures and things that quite frankly are unimaginable.

"It sounds impossible."  I would reason. "For one, you say I'll taste food with texture. How can that be? I just ingest food. And you say there is somebody that loves me? How can they even know me? I've never seen them."

I could argue that my life is perfect just the way it is. I have all I want.

But in the end, all my reasoning kind of falls flat. I wouldn't want to miss this world for a embryonic existence. Would you?

I believe that when we get to the other side, all our ideas and reasons for thinking God is impossible will disappear. CS Lewis puts it this way:

Heaven will solve our problems, but not, I think, by showing us subtle reconciliations between all our apparently contradictory notions. The notions will all be knocked from under our feet. We shall see that there never was any problem.
Who can tell? But unless we take Pascal's wager, we stand the risk of missing the greatest party of all time.

Unless a seed dies - it remains just a seed. But when it dies, it is transformed into something far more than it ever was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment