Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Beautiful and Warm

There are certain things that can give us pause. They take our breath away, so to speak. For instance, have you ever watched the sunset on a mountain plain with the wild flowers apparently changing colors like the clouds and mountain snow above them? What about the perfect wave in the ocean, crystal clear water on a turquoise backdrop? Have you ever been struck just watching a child play? Or a potter at their craft? There are times when I can just stare at my wife and I know I'm happy inside.

I have this sense that when I look at creation and even the things that man has accomplished that I'm only seeing a glimpse of something even more spectacular. Remember, in the 1930's they were considering closing the patent offices because we couldn't possibly find that much more stuff to patent - whoa how far we've come in a century!

If God can spin this world into orbit just so that we could survive, and if he could set not only our solar system and our galaxy in order, but also the millions upon millions of other galaxies - I imagine, when we get to that moment of knowing Him more fully, that we will be struck with something more breathtaking and beautiful than a sunset on the plains.

All that to give myself a little context when I read from Philippians 3:1:

Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment