Monday, October 20, 2014

The impotent gospel












Frustration wells up in me. Here we are in a modern America where we have produced the most lame standards, the most uncreative and unproductive society America has ever known. As I sit around a group of adults discussing the woes of raising our children, we are all reminded of these important verses and admonishments from the Bible:


  • A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. —Proverbs 15:1
  • Jesus fulfilled the prophetic words of Isaiah, “He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth” Isaiah 53:7

And we are not to strike our children lest we get dragged out into public and told this is child abuse. We are to turn the other cheek and continue to extend grace and forgiveness. A small comment can start a large fight. When we, by God’s grace, choose not to retaliate with our words, we honor Jesus our Savior. So basically - good luck finding a way to guide and direct your child because you can't touch them and you can't yell at them.

Do we forget that Jesus also created a whip and drove out the money changers? Do we forget that he also challenged the people in authority? Jesus did use force when needed.

I have four boys and I have four different personalities in my house. If I think that simply telling them one time is going to get the action I want, I'm deceived! Only one of my four boys will take action on the first ask. And it won't be the same one every time.

When we look back and we see heros - real heros, every day americans going out to serve their country in battle we find that the proverbs were at work in their parents:
  • He that spares the rod, hates his son, but he that loves him, disciplines him diligently
  • Discipline your son while there is hope
  • Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction will drive it from him
  • Do no withhold correction from the child, if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. Punish him, and save him from death
  • A rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined disgraces its mother.
And in Hebrews 12, we are reminded that "...the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son. Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?"

I can't remember the last time I spanked one of my children, and I'm trying desperately to uninstall the "malware, Lecture 1.0" from my hard drive. This leaves me resorting to pleading with my children "PLEASE, don't make bad decisions. PLEASE, think about what you just said and tell me how that is uplifting to those who heard it. PLEASE think of others before yourself. PLEASE... PLEASE... PLEASE."

I feel impotent to direct the path of my kids. I'm not sure this is healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment