Thursday, March 7, 2019

Freedom, Happiness

Life is tricky. It seems some people hit the jack pot without even trying. I ran into a friend of mine that I used to skateboard with. He had problems passing most of his classes but made it through. He wasn't the most popular of people. In fact, he was usually one of the guys that was easily swayed into doing things on the edge. Perfect fraternity pledge type.

Fast forward 25 years and we both have kids on the swim team. But he is living in waterfront property with country club manicured yards and maids etc, while I'm hoping my car doesn't break down because I'll have no way of repairing it.

On the one side, I might be unhappy about my living situation and jealous of his apparent "living the life" type of outward appearance.

But here is the other side. My buddy was lit. Meaning, the only way he was really finding happiness was to escape to something that gives him an artificial buzz. And as for me, I have it better than so many people. If I live on the edge of bankruptcy for the rest of my life, I'm still rich beyond so many.

Blessings are everywhere if you look for them and stop comparing yourself to the Instagram / Facebook / Twitter worlds.

I walked away from a great career. In doing so, I estimate I've left maybe three quarters of a million dollars on the table. That seems shocking to me. And right now, I have peace. I don't have a nice car, a beautiful yard, but I'm happy - so happy in the simple things.

I find that I left aimlessness to seek purpose.

The journey continues.


No comments:

Post a Comment