Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The Greater Lie

Is there a greater lie? Can you tell a lie that isn't important, a little white lie that doesn't matter?

Well the obvious answer is yes, you can. But then you have to ask the question, what do you sacrifice when you do something like that?

It wasn't too long ago that I was on this topic. But it came up again as I was in Proverbs 12 and Proverbs 30. I love this piece from Proverbs 30:

Two things I ask of you, Lord;
    do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
    give me neither poverty nor riches,
    but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
    and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
    and so dishonor the name of my God.

I love that. Let me be dependent enough to continually recognize your provision, and not so needy that I am compelled to steal.

But the first part is what stood out. This pairing is "Keep falsehood away" and "give me my daily bread."

I've often criticized myself for having a bad memory. Part of this is intentional. Like Einstein said “Paper is to write things down that we need to remember. Our brains are used to think.” I certainly employ this with my work.

But with my life, I don't want to have to write down the lies I've told. I only want to live a life that is open and with a clear conscious.

Remember from my earlier post, once you start a trail of lies, your brain will literally think on ways of validating those lies. The best thing is to not start down that path.

Just like many shavings make a pile, many small lies will add up to something significant - and I don't want you to find yourself in a situation where your world comes unraveled because of a series of small lies that led to a greater lie.



No comments:

Post a Comment