Monday, March 4, 2019

Becoming a Team

For the last week, I've observed over six tryouts. This is actually down from previous years.

This year I told the boys in advance that I want the hardest competition they face this year to be on the practice pitch. I want them to be ready for every other team, tackle, situation because their teammates pushed them to the limit in practice.

So I fully expected guys to get taken down and maybe even hurt. But again, I clarified, we are pushing each other to be better. And we will not intentionally hurt each other. Further, we will not take offense if we are hurt by our own teammates.

No harm intended. No harm taken.

It is important to me to build in a sense of competition, companionship and respect. So after a hard tackle, I expect my players to help others back to their feet.

As we walk though life, there are going to be times when we get knocked down. I do believe that sometimes it will be deliberately. But most of the time, we are going to get knocked down by people we might call friends.

I've been hurt. Over the last five years I've struggled with some hard hits by people I would have considered friends. All along the way there have been teammates to help me back up. People that love me despite my situation. In all honesty, I don't think I could have survived without them.

The closest of those teammates is my wife. And that is something that I can't stress enough. You need to find someone who will be true to you through thick or thin. Someone who's words you can trust - even if they hurt. Someone who will lift you up when you are down.

As I've come to the other side (at least seeing the light at the end of the tunnel), I now see my role as one to lift up others again. I need to help not just my family, but those around me.

Make it a goal to be a great teammate, to push others to their best, and to help them up when they are down. You know you need and expect the same from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment