Thursday, March 21, 2019

The Bigger Picture

What is the bigger picture? I know that in sport, we often see some sort of objective and focus only on that objective.

Bowling might be the easiest to examine. Get a strike every time - that's the un-obscured clear cut, do it every time big picture.

But it turns out - maybe not. If you are on a team, you might need people with a good handicap score. I have to admit, this is one case where I don't get the bigger picture.

Often, I am frustrated by my average life. I can look around and say "I'm so good at this!" but I play a comparison game with someone else and say "But I'm not that good."

I've often said, I'm the jack of all trades, master of none. I really do believe I could do anything. I could teach, I could do HR, I could program, I could manage programs, I could manage products, I could coach, I could build buildings, I could be an astronomer, I could write, I could clean toilets or I could groom animals. It really doesn't matter.

You know what my biggest limitation is? Food. There are some things I just can't eat. Outside of that, I feel confident I could do about anything and be successful.

So what is the bigger picture for my life? I have to admit, the things I'm best at are around people. Do you know what it is like to love and be loved deeply? What about trust? It is wonderful to have trust. Being able to lift someone's day just by hanging out with them - that's pretty cool too.

I suppose I find that I have a bright mind which serves me well. But in the end, I'm not hoping they say how good I was at my job. Rather, I hope they say I loved well. If I keep my eye on this bigger picture, I feel like I am successful.




No comments:

Post a Comment