Thursday, February 28, 2019

Self Destructive Thoughts


I really am not a fan of things in the water. I love water. Love it. I just don't like the things in it. Coral - beautiful, will rip the flesh right off your feet and legs. Seaweed can tangle you up, or even lily pads in a lake can be dangerous. What do you think of jelly fish? I don't know if you can count alligators as things in the water.

Then this fish cannibalism is ridiculous. Some fish will eat fish that are the same size as themselves. Talk about having eyes bigger than your stomach. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Then you go bigger and get crabs, lobsters, stingrays, squids and octopus, tuna, sharks and whales. The whole thing gets pretty gross to me.

And yet we throw a hook down there and lure them into our boats so we can drag them home and mount them on a wall or serve them in sushi.

Which just makes you think that these creatures were really put here for food. I'm not sure they have a lot going on inside their brains except "will this fit in my mouth?"

How often do we fall into the same boat? What out there looks yummy and we ask the dumb question "I wonder if this will fit in my mouth?"

If I'm at the office, I am not tempted to eat cookies. But if I'm working from home and I happen by the kitchen, sure enough, a cookie craving takes over and ... well ... I can lose track of how many I eat in an eight hour workday.

I find that numerous things in life are like that. First, someone plants a seed that gives you an idea you may not have thought of before. Maybe it is a compliment - something that boosts your pride. Soon, your brain says you are better than others. And we've all heard it, pride comes before a great fall.

The point is your environment will shape your thoughts and your thoughts will betray you into doing something that may ultimately be your demise. Many great people have been tempted and fallen victim to the lures that are around them.

The thing I tell my kids and friends is to change your environment. Go outside. I find that most temptations are not as tempting when you are outside.

But if you are outside and that is where the temptation is, go for a ride. Change your place. Change the situation.

Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away.

My charge to you is drag yourself away from the temptation - and do your best to drag others away too.


No comments:

Post a Comment