Monday, February 11, 2019

True Colors

It seems nothing is hidden anymore. The amount of stuff that can be dug up about any person is amazing.

For instance, I think there is a guy in Virginia right now that is being brought to trial because of a photo in his yearbook that he says isn't even him. (I know this feeling as there is a photo credit of me dancing with a girl in my yearbook that isn't me.)

And I wasn't a fan of the recent issues with people getting called out for their behavior in college. Honestly, I don't agree with the behavior of most college students. But think of how many people you have worked with that were students of the 60's and 70's. The stories I've heard from CEOs and Principle Engineers are hilarious.

Is that who they are now? In the vast majority of cases, no. In some cases, yes.

We just watched Les Miserables with the kids; a non-musical one that tells the story more than the musical. I love the musical, but wanted them to get a clear picture of all that was going on. I asked them what they thought of this one and they "Loved it." All my boys want to see the musical now.

There is something interesting about it. We have a man forgiven, shown love in a fascinating way. He spends the rest of his life showing love to others. At the same time, you have a lawful person. Just that;

"I've spent my whole life trying not to break one single law." - Inspector Javert

Yet in the end, we see the lawful person put on hand cuffs and the law breaker goes free. What is true freedom? Does it mean we are perfect? By no means.

I want people to show their true colors. And when it comes to behavioral issues, I see the heart as being the most important thing. Is it my nature to help someone, or to step on them as I climb to the next rung on the ladder? Am I servant hearted or serve me hearted?

Looking at these past offenses of people, I am only interested in who they are today. I believe that when someone makes a change, we need to help them with that change and not hold the past offenses against them.

I'm not perfect. I do try to obey the laws. I'm very slow to pick up stones to throw at others who may have a jaded past. Ultimately, I think most of us have a jaded past. Which makes forgiveness all the more appealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment