Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Oh-my Back!

This car hasn't moved the entire week of snow here in the Northwest. Needless to say, we have a bit of digging out to do.

As a courtesy and a good home owner, you are supposed to clear your sidewalk. What better thing to do than to use the sidewalk snow to build a nice 48" tall snow fort and snowman.

I'm happy with the results of both the fort and snowman, but there is one thing I'm not happy about. My BACK!

This is one of the joys of getting older. I understand and wish I was in better shape so things like clearing the sidewalk wouldn't hurt so much.

But there is this verse in the Bible that scares me to bits. It basically says in Ephesians that if you honor your parents, it will go well with you and you will enjoy a long life.

Now, there is a part of me that says "Cool!" but there is another part of me that says "My back is going to be mush by that time. How much enjoyment is this going to be?"

Honestly, one of my biggest fears in life is not knowing my family. It is watching my grandmother who has always been on top of everything be completely confused and disoriented as she fights dementia and Alzheimer's.

She has been an absolute joy. But at the same time, she is a shell of the person she used to be.

It seems like a strange fear to have, but for some reason it is very real to me. I cannot shake it. So for today, I pray that I would love those around me. I don't want them to ever doubt that I am for them and that I believe in them. Because someday, they might have to take care of my mushy back and my mushy mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment