Wednesday, February 20, 2019

No harm intended, no harm taken

Perspective is important. It is the lens through which we see situations, people, and even our world.

As a soccer coach, I was taught to work extremely hard at practice knowing that I had better play harder than any opponent we faced. You have to live by the mantra "No harm intended, no harm taken." Meaning, if someone hurts me in the process, they are simply making me better prepared for the real game. They are helping me, not hurting me.

So one point of view is the glass is half empty, the other is that it is half full.

As we progress through life we encounter situations that can put us on our can. If you read through this blog, you'll know I was a hurting pup for several years. In the end, you'll find that the core of who I am has not been shaken. Whether I like it or not, I live to or for a standard. Without that standard, I'm pretty lost. Honestly, when I think about who I would be without those guideposts, I am not at all happy with what I see.

Again, I come back to choices. I could choose to watch TV or I could choose to read. I could choose to exercise or I could choose to sleep in. I could choose steak or I could choose salad. These seem like easy, physical choices. Some are healthier choices - but if I put my WANTS above my GOALS or PURPOSE, then I will choose poorly.

How does this play out in other areas of my life? What about ethical choices? What about attitude choices? What about picking a spouse? 

I would say that stepping on others, putting others down, taking credit for work I didn't do, cheating, lying and doing it in the most conniving way as to actually look like a nice guy - that seems like a path to success, high paying jobs, and promotions.

Most of us would say "I wouldn't intentionally do stuff like that." But the truth is, sometimes WANTING that promotion or looking good in front of the boss is more important than your true character.

And perhaps that is the point I'm driving at. What do you base your true character on?

"I'm a generally good person unless something comes along that suits me better. Then I might make a quick diversion from my standard."

What if you can accept the hardship - something that appears to be for your harm or detriment - and believe instead that this hard thing is intended for your greater good? What kind of standard is that and where do you find it?

For me, it comes from verses like Genesis 50:20, something that seemed like death was done to save many.


No comments:

Post a Comment