Friday, February 28, 2014

A place and a real purpose

It's weird. But I need a place that I can sort of get cozy and call "my space." Right now, it is in the corner of the room. I can see out the window in front of me and my eye catches pieces of nature or neighbors going by. I'm encouraged by all this. It is peaceful.

When I sit and study, I like to tune into some station that plays guitar hymns. I use a streaming media site like grooveshark, pandora or spotify. The hymns take me back to sweet time of learning about God. It's a wonderful thing to have faith like a child.

In this space, I can actually tune out the other distractions. Or at least, I can shift gears in and out of my space such that I don't feel a significant loss if I am distracted.

But what am I trying to do here? Well, honestly, reflect and pray.

It's interesting because I am convicted that when we reflect on anything (job performance, artist skills, sport, or relationships) we do so to improve on it for next time. If my code review was horrific, I'll take learning points and grow. If I stumble on the fourth stanza, I'll practice it more. If my shots always drift left, I'll try to straighten it out with practice. If I hurt someone unintentionally, I'll be more cautious in the future.

In all cases, I reflect and grow or develop that skill.

We fail to grow spiritually because we only ask God for the same things day after day. Bless this food, help us to have fun, keep us safe. Next day? Bless this food, help us to have fun, keep us safe.

How about really opening up to God. Yes, heal this person. Tell God how frustrated you are that the person is even sick to begin with. Ask him to reveal what you are supposed to learn from this so that next time you'll be able to handle it better.

What about your job? What co-worker do you want to shove in front of a train? Can you ask God to change your heart and attitude toward that person so you can see the world through their eyes? How would that grow you?

What about sport? Do you want to do well in your sport to show how good you are or to use it as a platform to reveal who God is? Can you pray that God would help you evaluate your motivations?

Who do you need to be thankful for? Who has been building you up and making you stronger? Who has helped you discover your faults and given you insight in how to improve? Can you give thanks to God for these people in your life (past and present)?

So my challenge is to find a place that you can call your own. Then pray with purpose - to improve yourself by getting to know the one who has plans for your life. My guess is when you sit down to eat, your prayer will change from "bless this food." to "Thanks for keeping me in good spirits all day and growing me, and thanks for food, that I might take time to acknowledge you were with me in those tough moments today."


Philippians 4:4-7
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment