Wednesday, February 19, 2014

No other name

Ephesians 6:14-17 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Truth, righteousness, readiness, faith, salvation, and the word of God.
Salvation. This is a difficult concept for a atheist. Saved from what? When you kick back and say "there is nothing beyond this little blue ball" then you really don't care for what is next. Personally, I think that these type of people are telling themselves one of two things.

"This world is great. People are inherently good/trying to do the right thing. When I die, I'll just turn back into dirt. Just like all the bugs I squash while walking down the street. Nobody knows they exist, nobody will know if they are gone. Same goes for me."
- or -
"This world is horrible. No matter what is next, it can't be much worse."

To this I run to Pascal's wager. Simply put, if you bet on God and are wrong, there is no loss. If you bet on God and are right, huge win for eternity. If you bet against God and are wrong, huge loss for eternity.

I don't intend to simplify the Gospel to a simple wager, but I do continue to point back to scripture that says if you seek Him you will find Him. It says salvation can be found in no other name.

My take here is to put God to the test. The Bible (if treated like a historical document) is more reliable than all other texts out there. The Bible (if treated like God breathed words) has the power to change your life.

And while I'm questioning whether or not you have to "invite Jesus into your heart," in order to be saved, I'm not questioning who Christ is and what God did through the cross. I simply rely on the Romans 10:9 verse that says if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, then you will be saved.




No comments:

Post a Comment