Thursday, February 27, 2014

Good Habits

Today I am going to try my first P90X work out. I hope I don't die.

In reality, I still have several physical goals out there. I would like to run a marathon. I would like to do a mini triathlon. I would also like to be able to play 90 minutes of soccer again. Here is how I started working towards those goals over the last two years... I ... um... coached soccer for six hours a week.

That doesn't sound like someone who is disciplined and focused on reaching a marathon goal does it? So in the last month, I've put more miles on my shoes than I have in the last two years combined. I'm pressing into it and trying to figure out how to organize my day so I can achieve my goal.

It seems to me that many people try to reach their goals like I did. I want to get in better shape, but I don't make time for it. I wonder how many of us apply this to our spiritual life. If I want to get better at spending time with God, I can't just sit around and hope it happens. It will be too much like my fitness achievements in the last couple years.

In the last month, I've been getting more on track with spending time doing just this, reading about God, reading his word, writing about what I learned and think. It takes time, but it fleshes out my theology (thoughts on God).

See, I am in pure bewilderment over the people out there that say the Bible is just a fairy tale. If you've read my blog for long, you know I'm still wrestling with the text myself. But you can't ignore it. Particularly the New Testament. From a historical document perspective, it is more verifiable than the existence of Shakespeare. And then you take the fact that it was Rome that persecuted the early church, literally lighting their highways with burning Christians (and criminals) - and somehow, Rome becomes the center of Christian influence the world round.

Yeah, you can't ignore it. Something happened there and I find it worth the study. It is just like wanting to get better about my fitness, I want to be savvy about my theology. More than that, since I believe in Jesus Christ, I want to respond to Him. And I can't do that very well if I don't give Him any time in my day.

So, is learning theology a good Habit? I think so.

Tomorrow I'll start more about this and my thoughts on making time for prayer, just one of those habits we should be better about.

No comments:

Post a Comment