Monday, February 3, 2014

Slavery in the modern era

Ephesians 6:5-8 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.  Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.

This kind of verse kind of knocks me in the head. The Bible is acknowledging that slavery exists and they are not condemning it. Further, in the Old Testament, it was OK for people to become 'salves' as they would 'sell' their land to get out of debt. But then in the Jewish tradition, there was the year of Jubilee where all debts were forgiven and people could reclaim their land.

Just the same, there it is... slavery. I do believe that we have moved beyond this among lawful citizens, however, I try to turn this into an application for myself. Romans 6 is all about letting go of your old self. It's about no longer being a slave to sin, but a slave to righteousness.

There is the target. I just want to be doing what is pleasing to God. Ephesians 6 says "because you know that the Lord will reward you..." But you know - honestly, I let go of rewards at some point in my life. I am content being saved from sins.

That turning point must have been an old pastor that said, "When I'm in line for the pearly gates I'm going to look forward and see those Taylor's who were so faithful and making such a difference for the Lord." At that, I began to wonder if this was good or bad as we are also told the first shall be last, and the last shall be first.

At that, I quit trying to figure out what God is all about and only focus on pleasing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment