Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Stand.

Ephesians 6:13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Time and time again, I find myself saying the later part of this verse ... after you have done everything, to stand.

What is that? What are we standing against? I'm thinking society and all it wants us to want.

When I open my eyes to what my brother is going through as a member of our armed services, I see places that are not 100% westernized. I see starving children next to piles of trash in mud hut cities. I see disease in faces and on skin. The overweight mothers and fathers lounging around near the huts, the disregard for property and people. I see things I wish I hadn't.

And then I see the rest... in the midst of the suffering, is a child playing with a stick, a ball, or a "doll." Children that are literally content to play with mud pies in the slums because they cannot even fathom the idea of a holiday by the sea.

Where am I going with all this? I can't help be feel the desire to be content with mud pies in the slums. That I might not be tempted by the holiday by the sea. We are the richest nation in the history of the world. I can't help but be convicted by the idea that I want to serve others rather than myself. I want to surrender it all to the one who gave it all for me. And yet over and over again I fall... and serve myself.

When will I be able to say "No!" to temptations? When will I be able to stand?

"The Stand"

You stood before creation Eternity in your hand You spoke the earth into motion My soul now to stand

You stood before my failure And carried the cross for my shame My sin weighed upon your shoulders My soul now to stand

So what could I say? And what could I do? But offer this heart, Oh God Completely to you

So I'll walk upon salvation Your spirit alive in me This life to declare your promise My soul now to stand

So what could I say? And what could I do? But offer this heart, Oh God Completely to you

I'll stand With arms high and heart abandoned In awe of the one who gave it all I'll stand My soul Lord to you surrendered All I am is yours

No comments:

Post a Comment