Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A battle without me

Originally posted April 9, 2010

Yesterday, the reading in second Kings was about having our eyes opened so we could see what God was up to. The battle is all around us and many times we don't see it. The one man dies as a result of his unseeing (perhaps unbelieving) eyes.

Sometimes I think the battle is in us. Or rather, the battle is us.

How often do we do anything out of selfish ambition? When I think about my daily life, beginning to end, there is very little I do except that the ends would somehow satisfy me. I go to work hoping to get paid. I eat what pleases me or is healthy for me. I compliment my wife and kids because I find joy in this. It ultimately boils down to making me happy. Which I am.

So the question becomes, in all this, am I also content? Am I also able to give these things away?

“I have set the Lord always before me.” Psalm 16:8

“My eyes are ever on the Lord.” Psalm 25:15

“I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.” Psalm 34:1

When we read the words of David, the king of Israel, what seems evident about his life? Was God just a morning devotion time - or a Sunday pick me up? God is everything, always and forever.

My small group is trying to plan an outreach of some sort. We are looking to serve in a shelter, collect food donations, or maybe even just knock out someone's house for yard work's or cleaning' sake. In any case, we want to be God's hands for a moment.

But what we really want to do is be God's hands always.

At some point, I have to ask myself when am I doing things for the glory of God rather than to meet my needs. When is the battle no longer about what I want, but what God wants?

In my life, I see my finances as a means to serve God. The battle is also serving myself in the short term.

In my life, I see my wife as someone that opens doors to broken people. The battle is also seeing her as the object of my affections/desires.

In my life, I see my children as arrows in my quiver that should be prepared to take on the world. The battle is the stress this inflicts on my time and resources.

In my life, I see my hobbies as a tool to reach others and build and encourage them. The battle is using the hobby to simply gratify my desires for an outlet.

In my life, I see my friends as fellow workers to share and spread the gospel. The battle is making sure we don't just stand around looking at our belly buttons all the time.

I want me out of the picture. I want the battle to be against the dark forces and not my selfish ambitions. I want the battle without "Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment