Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Open my eyes, lest I die

Originally posted April 8, 2010

Today I read from 2 Kings 6 & 7. There was Israel, maybe three times threatened in these two chapters. Each time God delivered them. How awesome is that?

But the thing that caught me the most was the prophet that somehow has been given the eyes to see what God was up to.

In 7:2 & 19 it says "Then the royal officer answered the man of God and said, "Now behold, if the LORD should make windows in heaven, could such a thing be?"

This, right after Elisha tells him that the famine will be over tomorrow afternoon. It happens that the Royal officer sees deliverance, but is trampled as the people run out to get food. He dies.

But in 6:15-18, we get that classic bad guys after the prophet scene where they are surrounded. And Elisha says "Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." Then Elisha prayed and said, "O LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see "

The story follows that the bad guys are blinded and then led to the king of Israel, who sets a table of food before them. They eat, drink, and never bother the Israelites again.

Now to me, I have to believe that God loves Israel and delivering them from catastrophe is part of his plan for our great good. How strange it is to me that the "bad guys" get away with a "please don't mess with us, we have a great God. Ya'll don't come back now..." while the Israelite guard at the gate gets killed.

The same thing happens in the New Testament in Acts 5 when Ananias and Saphira sell their land and don't bring the full price of the land to the church.

Before I get all mad at God, I must realize that God's ways are not my ways, and his thoughts are not my thoughts (Isaiah 55). And further, I can't see what God is up to. Certainly, I wouldn't have set up the plan of salvation the way he did. Not that I've even thought about how to save the world.

But the challenge for me is wondering if I'm not walking around dead already. If I had his eyes to see, what would change in me? If I had his hands to work, what would I do? If I had his feet to carry me, where would I go?

I often do find myself praying this prayer of vision that I might know Him, his will, and his purpose for me in my daily life.

Vision: Ability to see.

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,

Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all

No comments:

Post a Comment