Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gethsemane and me

Previously published January 21, 2010

There are many things that strike me when thinking about Gethsemane. First, who had the voice recorder on Jesus while everybody was asleep? Perhaps, this is one of the things Jesus shared with them post-resurrection. Second, how similar am I to the disciples in that when people pray, my mind tends to wander. Or even when I pray on my own, I will start on topic, but stray all over the place in my thoughts. No wonder the disciples fell asleep, it was late, they didn't get what was going on, and they just had a meal with wine.

But there is a bigger question here. What can we learn today by observing what Jesus did do here in the garden?

First, I see Jesus doing what he does best, connecting with God. There is a certain amount of acceptance in this scripture. As in, he tells the disciples to keep watch while he prays. This indicates that while he knows the time is near, the Father hasn't told him the exact time. So he has a sense of urgency in his prayers too. "God, is there another way?"

The interesting thing is that we know the wrath of God is just, but perhaps the wrath of God is not near as terrible as separation from God. For in that moment on the cross, Christ is utterly forsaken. How desperately lost are we without God? But for our sake, and His ultimate joy, Christ endured the shame and the pain.

The lesson for me is accepting that which God has set before me. Walking in faith toward the goal God has for my life. Sometimes, I find joy in the journey. Sometimes, I find pain. I have come to accept (like Job) that God gives and takes away, but my heart will choose to say "Blessed is the Most High."

So I strive to walk in faith and repentance. I don't want to cause others to stumble and I want to be an example for my family and others to follow.

Christ endured the ultimate. Surely I can endure a little inconvenience here and there for the sake of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment