Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gift of the Holy Spirit

Originally posted April 28, 2010

Philippians 2:1-18

There are many times that I think about how awesome the gift of the Holy Spirit is. The first thing that gets me is the ability to understand what the disciples could not understand. Those that walked with him and saw the miracles were unable to comprehend the death and resurrection until after it happened.

Then you have the whole nation of Israel in the OT not getting it. Even if they had a cloud by day and fire by night, or prophets, judges, or kings. They often didn't listen.

So two things stand out to me on the idea of the Holy Spirit now. The first is the idea that God is speaking to me through the scriptures. I need to hear His word in order to align my life and actions with Him. There is a wonderful perspective of knowing that this moment - no matter how awful or difficult - is not the end. This perspective allows us to tackle problems with confidence knowing that the outcome is in God's hands.

But the second perspective is more personal. I've been given a gift. The gift is for me, but like any talent, is it really a talent unless I use it? Am I not poured out to be filled up again? Then my service should be fully dependent upon the Holy Spirit. So - the biggest problem I have is not living a life that is honoring to Christ, but sharing the life that is honoring to Christ.

My prayer is that I could be filled up to overflowing again. That I would hear those words "you have something I don't have." And that something would be the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment