Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Body and The Mission


Originally posted February 25, 2010

Charles Stanley challenges us today to recognize the Body of Christ and then asks the tough question, How do you see your current role in God’s Kingdom, as it has been revealed so far on Earth?

On the body, I was recently thinking about the different types of churches. Some are charismatic, while others are apathetic. But do not both have a place in the body? One may be needed to make your hairs stand on end once in a while. The other might be needed to minister to the shy and quiet. But like Paul says, so long as Christ is preached, we should rejoice.

So then becomes the personal question of me. What is my current role?

For me, I find myself working on my witness at work. People know I'm a Christian. People know I'm working with youth. People know I take vacation for "church" reasons. But does that attract them to Christ?

When the rubber hits the road, I need to know what to say to the guy who gambles his paycheck away finally says, "My dad is on his death bed. Where is God?" Or the outspoken atheist says "My kid is ... " and breaks off dismissing the hurt she obviously feels.

I'd say that the hardest thing is to want to scream out in tough love "Your dad ignored God all his life, why would he want to be with God now?" or "If you raise your kids to have no standard for right and wrong, why would you expect them be able to make good decisions?"

But when people are hurting, they are trying to close the gate after the horses have left. We as Christians have hope regardless of our circumstances. Do they see that? Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment