Tuesday, January 28, 2014

SPIES like us

Originally posted April 26, 2010

So our church has entered into a five week study developed by the legacy institute. It is used around town here and across the nation. It has taken modern research and overlaid the truths from scripture. Their goal is to have every age group be attentive to their design.

I work in both a married's class and a high school boys class, sophomores. So I get a double dose of the stuff every Sunday. The first perspective is understanding the differences in our spouse, while the second perspective is understanding the what women want. I'm really starting to latch onto the idea they want "SPIES like us" (more in a bit).

It has been fun as the research on infants reflects that boys are naturally more assertive/aggressive while girls are naturally more, um... relational - they tie things together. An example from my life is this question I put to a gal in college. We were always debating something and we usually had a great time doing it. But this time I was completely caught off guard with her answer.

I asked, which sport produces the most well rounded athlete? Baseball.

What?! And here is how she came about that answer. Who is the most well rounded athlete I know? What sport does this person like the most? Therefore, the most well rounded athletes come from this sport.

She completely neglected the other sports the guy played. Just picked his favorite. Relation to connection to theory to story. Now, mind you, this gal played competitive volleyball and softball and went on to be a scientist that developed gold crystals. So she was just having a moment where her brain made connections.

So it has been fun. But let me set the stage for potentially more postings. The idea is that we become individuals that are "whole" or have "integrity" in the following areas: Spiritual, Physical, Intellectual, Emotional, and Social. If I live with integrity in these areas, it will be not only fulfilling to me, but it will be attractive to others.

In my marriage, I still want to woo my spouse. There is fun in love and I don't ever want it to stop.

With these sophomore boys, they need to learn what it means to become men. I'm looking forward to sharing more. After all, I have four boys hitting this stuff head on. I want to be able to share this social perspective which has such strong Biblical roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment