Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Christian Eschatology, And Great Responsibility

Originally posted April 14, 2010

So, I'm going through a series with a group of guys on "The story of God." Which summarized is this. The Old Testament points to Christ. The New Testament points to Christ. The future points to Christ. And looking at it from the beginning... In the beginning God... So the story is about God.

We are wrapping up next week, so this time we are focusing on the different views of the end. I've heard it all before but never put big words on it like "Eschatology" and I've never tried to remember the various theological differences between Pre-millennial, A-millennial, or Post-millennial. And while I don't trust wikipedia for real facts, someone has taken the time to put up a few graphics that might help.

Which brings me to the topic for today. What is our responsibility?

Perhaps a more sobering experience was a dream I had one time. The wonderful moment of the rapture finally came. We were caught up in the air and many of us were on a golden flight to a fantastic party in the sky. And along the way someone said to me "Did you leave your garage door open?" (It was a dream) But the idea that when He comes, we are not to look back for mother, father, or child for "no one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." Immediately, the party was over and I was back on earth. My garage door was not only open, it was gone. The whole top half of all the homes was gone. The Earth was scorched and gray.

And as I came across other people I realized I had a new responsibility.

My responsibility in my dream was much like that in the Left Behind series. I started to help pick up the lives of the broken people and point them to Christ. To get ready for that final judgement.

In life now, we still look forward to the day when we get to be with Christ. And there is an important question to ask - if I could have Heaven, all its fruit, all the reunions with relatives past, all the peanut butter and chocolate I could, but not have Christ, would I still go? And if the answer is "Yes." Then it really isn't heaven that we want. For Hell is separation from God. He is life. To be with Him is to be IN love. And there is nothing that tops this.

Think about how you will forsake your friends and parents for someone you "love." You'll skip meals for a moment with them. You'll drive wasted miles to see them. Being IN love is the closest all consuming feeling we have. Being with the author of Love... Imagine.

So - our great responsibility then is from 1 Thessalonians 4:18 and 5:11; "Therefore encourage each other with these words." and "encourage one another and build each other up." (Remember these chapters are about Christ coming).

Be expectant and joyful at the prospect of Christ's coming. Don't worry about how exactly it is going to take place.

No comments:

Post a Comment