Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Social or Solitude?

Originally posted March 25, 2010

“I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.” Psalm 119:15

There are times when solitude is better than community, and silence is wiser than speech. We will be better Christians if we take more time to be “alone” with God, and gathering spiritual strength through meditation on His Word, so that we will be refreshed to work in His service. - Charles H. Spurgeon

I'm going through Ian Fleming's "For your eyes only" which seems to be a collection of short stories he never put enough effort into in order to stretch them into their own books. The last one I got through was Quantum of Solace. It wasn't an Bond story at all, but Fleming's reflections on fate. Interesting to today's topic in as much as the title goes.

Quantum is a the minimum quantity of a material in an interaction. Solace is some sort of consolation - or comfort. So it is the minimum one has to give to be able to say "It's not like I'm providing nothing to this relationship."

We learn so much from each other. We busy ourselves with social interactions. So often I find myself playing comparison games. I could do better (because I know so and so is doing better). I care about what people think. My self-worth is tied to their perceptions. In my mind I say I don't care, but I realize that I really do.

For instance, does it matter to me that I have a truck on the side of my house that is just collecting moss? No - it doesn't cost me much. But it looks like trash. Worthless. But it isn't. The truck runs like a top. It is remarkable. I know that but what do the neighbors think? Could I donate this? Should I sell it?

How much do I judge my wife and kids? Often! How well should a sixth grader be able to read and write? I must compare! How often should my wife bake cookies to deliver to the neighbors? I must compare! And then what? I get so tied up with the social discrepancies that I have only given the quantum attention to God, the one I really care about. The one I really need to aim to please..

What does it say in Matthew 6:33-7:1?
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Do not worry... Do not Judge...

I am convicted that it is very easy for me to get wrapped up in the world. I am the seed currently being choked by the weeds. I am social and I judge myself, and my family by the environment that is my world. And when I fail to meditate on His precepts and His ways, I can crush the spirit of my wife and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment